Friday, October 4, 2013

Feelin Farmy Part I

AYO PEEPS!




This week has been quite eventful. Everything revolves around FARMS!!
Farms and gardens play a very important role in my life- I absolutely love them.  My two grandfathers always had a garden. I can distinctly remember running after them in the hot Alabama sun, wanting to help in any way. I remember how prickly the okra was on my fingers, and how I would sprint away from the billy coats as they tried to eat my shirt. The biggest thing I remember about the gardens is how much work went into them, but how selflessly my grandfathers would give the actual “fruits of their labor” away to friends and family. Sometimes the humidity in Alabama is so thick that it feels as though you are breathing in water. My grandfathers worked in that, not because they needed the food for survival, just so they could share it. I think this is a big attraction about farms for me. Farmers might be growing their crops for income, but it is a lifestyle, and there is love behind it. Sadly, both of my grandfathers passed away within weeks of each other my junior year in high school. I think they would be very pleased with how garden savvy I have become.

SO! The first agricultural plot of land I would like to highlight upon is the Furman Farm, located behind the beautiful Shi Center for Sustainability. My task for the week was to volunteer at least an hour towards working on the farm. Before coming to Furman, I thought Miracle Grow, fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and all other cides were needed for proper food production. Well, I was wrong. Actually, these are not required at all, and they do more harm than good in the long run. I could go into great detail about the evils of the farm practices listed above, but I’ll save that knowledge for my next Earth and Environmental Science exam. I have attached a website called "Sustainable Baby Steps"- its is super great in describing the effects of chemical fertilizer. http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/effects-of-chemical-fertilizers.html

Walking up to the Furman Farm, I met Bruce, the farm manager. He is a very kind man, and was more than happy to show me around. The place is amazing! It was teeming with life that was developing to its fullest extent without the harsh use of chemicals. Instead of artificial chemicals to support growth, the farm uses its own compost. This is basically a huge pile of dark soil-like material that consists of food and paper waste (especially form the Furman Dining Hall!!) and organic matter. I shoveled the compost into a wheel barrel and placed it on some newly planted vegetables. While doing this, I stepped in a huge ant bed. Before I knew it, ants were covering my shoe, and if there is one thing you need to know about me, it’s that Elly and bugs do not get along. So yes, I lost my environmental cool for a second, it happens. My friend Gabby went to go get some coffee grounds to cover the bed. The coffee grounds are a natural and safer substitute for pesticide. The acidity does not bother us, but it will effectively kill the ants. I said, “SCREW THE COFFEE GROUNDS, BRING OUT THE BUG ZAPPER SRAY!!” I had a lapse ok?! However, I got my cool back, remembered I love the environment and all its creatures, and I think because of this, did not receive one ant bite.

After the compost, I helped Gabby plant about 32 baby brussel sprouts. Once we were done, I was told to go get some tea to water the newly planted sprouts with. I was super confused, like Milos Tea?? That stuff is good; I want to drink it not pour it out. Well it isn’t actually tea… I what looked like a giant trashcan and peeked in. Inside, there was brown liquid sloshing around. Do not be grossed out because it smelled so good, like mint! Apparently this is what the farm uses instead of a miracle grow type substance.  It is basically like liquid compost that they make themselves.

I only worked on the farm for about an hour, but in that time I gained massive respect for those who are out there every day. It is a hard business, and one that I think society tends to overlook. The Furman Farm is doing an amazing job growing all their food in a sustainable fashion. I think the farm is able to coexist with its surroundings in ways that others cannot. Without the use of agrochemicals, not only will the soil prosper, but also the well-being of the entire place. I hope to volunteer again soon, and see how my brussel sprouts are doing! Now I just have to start liking them….




Before the compost

After the compost












No comments:

Post a Comment