Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I Have Been Enlightened...now what

Last blog entry I read the Furman Sustainable Master Plan. I really do not have much that I want to add to the plan. The goals are very clear, the plan is laid out, and the university is now responsible for carrying it out. 

I believe that there is something so vital and necessary to the study and practice of sustainability that cannot be taught or enforced- passion. I was so lucky to have two amazing professors in the Earth and Environmental Department this past semester that not only taught me the foundations of EES, but also that this kind of lifestyle can not be carried out without passion. I think that passion is what guides and inspires the human race to flourish. Passion is necessary for sustainability because this lifestyle is not easy. I see more and more that it is the farthest thing from easy. I think that sustainable methods, for example the ones on Furman's campus, are easy to talk about. However, it is the enforcement, the pure mentality of it, that seems almost impossible to convince people of.

I am at an utter loss as to why humans do not care more about preserving this world in which we live. I can not figure out why such a disconnect between nature and person has occurred. I do know that passion for this subject is required to inspire others. I think that one must have passion for the environment, in order for this reconnect to spread within society. The Master Plan is wonderful, but at the end of the day, it is still words. The Sustainability Planning Council is an example of a group of people who are truly passionate in changing the lifestyle of this campus to one that benefits both nature and society. However, I think the mass public must be inspired as well. A fire must be lit within the hearts of every person who calls themselves a citizen of this world, because without a love and enactment of sustainability, we might now have this world for long. 
The most important things I have learned all year can be summarized in a video my To Walk The Land professor Dr. Ranson showed us today on the last day of class. It is truly amazing and I highly suggest everyone to watch it:

No comments:

Post a Comment