Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day One- Rockin it in the Rockys

The day before we (the Granola Group) left represented a small emersion into the nature state of mind. My mom and I traveled through the great state of Alabama (roll tide), the gauntlet of Atlanta, and alas into the Land Of Fountains that is good ole FU. That afternoon mainly consisted of us getting our gear together. I am very happy with the gear that I purchased- imagine Mountain High meets Pocohantas meets Katniss Everdeen and you'll basically have an idea of how National Geographic I feel. That night, most of our cohort went back to their dorms/apartments to relish in one of the last nights they will actually have a bed (ie comfort). Myself and three others decided to test out our new snazzy gear and camp out in Furman's science building basement. I DID NOT SLEEP IT WAS AWFUL I WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE. However, I keep telling myself that it is just because I was in a building somehow a tent will be better... somehow. But I am not discouraged! Instead I am just going to view myself as Frodo on a quest to Mordor (South Dakota) or maybe Harry Potter because Harry Potter trumps everything.
Anyways, this morning we were up and leaving FU by about 645. We traveled from Greenville to Detroit to Minnieapolis-St. Paul, and finally we set foot in Rapid City South Dakota. THREE PLANES PEOPLE. This is an accomplishment for me. I stayed reasonably calm considering the fact that I am not good at being responsible for myself. However, in Greenville I thought TSA might give me a strip search for having a germx bottle. Overall the flights were great and South Dakota is beautiful. It's funny because I know this is a Rocky Mountain trip but so far the landscape is very flat. I can see mountains off in the distance just teasing us. Our van driver told us that the land gets so flat at one point "you can see your dog run away for 10 days." The Fairfield Inn of Rapid City is now our temporary palace. We only have fleeting hours left to enjoy its royal amenities (this includes a giant indoor waterpark that attracts many locals) before we are thrust into the Badlands. Our trip now includes a surprise guest appearance from our latest Grannola Group inductee Anna Ranson (current Rhodes College graduate but honorary Furman member). I am so fortunate to be on this trip with an amazing group of people and professors. Below I have attached some pictures. Warning: I am still trying to figure out the GoPro. 

Quote of the day: "packing that duffel in the trunk is like reverse birthing!"










No comments:

Post a Comment