Thursday, September 19, 2013

Earth Market- Slow Food Upsate

Yo!!

I cant decide if the location of my dorm is a curse or gift. I am located right beside the kitchen. The stereotype that college kids are always hungry has actually proved true, even with unlimited dining. With that being said, it is nice to go into the kitchen and eat peoples food when they forget to write their name on it.

HOWEVER, everyone hangs out in the kitchen. Whyyyy is it the hangout spot?? For example, as I sit on my bed typing this, all I can hear is screaming. I think some of my peers are reenacting the Dirty Dancing scene where Patrick Swayze lifts Baby into the air.
Well...tonight Baby is in the corner, and she wants you to all be quite as she seeks higher education.

Speaking of food, I went to the coolest place Wednesday night in Greenville. It was a Farmers Market called the Earth Market- Slow Food Upstate. So this place is super cool, and I am not just saying that because I like places with Earth in the title. Here is the mission statement of the Market-

"Slow Food USA envisions a future food system that is based on the principles of high quality and taste, environmental sustainability, and social justice-in essence, a food system that is good, clean and fair. We seek to catalyze a broad cultural shift away from the destructive effects of an industrial food system and fast life; toward the regenerative cultural, social and economic benefits of a sustainable food system, regional food traditions, the pleasures of the table and a slower and more harmonious rhythm of life."

So all of that basically means that they are very strict what is sold at the market. Everything is local and farmers are present at the booth. The organic non GMO food is made with sustainable efforts!! It was a small market, but the food was definitely quality and it was a very friendly atmosphere. I would have bought everything if you know, I wasnt in college...
I did however buy a very cool beeswax candle that smelled so good! (Picture to come) We are not allowed to have open flames in the dorm room.... so it will be going in a care package down to AL for my mom. The awesome thing about these ornately carved candles, is that they are handmade by the only certified woman master beekeeper in South Carolina.  I told her I felt like I was meeting a celebrity. However, I think she was hesitant of me when I told her I go to Furman, since she is a Clemson grad. However, I totally got a picture...

Her name is Charlotte Anderson. Look her up! I attached her information below!

Here are some more pictures because I am an iphone camera pro



Info on the Earth Market and The Master Bee Keeper!!
www.carolinahoneybees.com

COMING NEXT WEEK:
WORLD WAR TIMER- Documents from the Epic Battle between Elly and the 5 minute shower timer
ALSO
Cute pictures of elderly couples holding hands as they walk around Furman


No comments:

Post a Comment