Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Swamp Rabbit Trail is Where its At

Warning: The following post may contain Lord of The Rings references. This is a judge free blog, so please do not judge my weirdness, just embrace it.

This week I decided to venture off campus... cue the suspenseful music. Yes, it is true that I am not very responsible when it comes to taking care of myself. Laundry proves to be a constant battle, and cooking..zoom...right over my head. However, I am pretty street savvy (as in like suburb streets with sidewalks). With that being said, my savvy-ness was put to the test as Gandalf the White (the name of my bike) and I journeyed across the far from middle earth campus of Furman, and onto the SWAMP RABBIT TRAIL
Me-ready to ride, cardigan and all
Alright so here is the info on the swamp rabbit:
The SR is a rails-to-trails pathway, which means that the trail itself was converted from an old railroad. I am not quite sure how long the trail is. Most websites say about 17.5 miles; however, they may be outdated, since the signs on the trail hint that it could be a full marathon or more. Either way, this flat and straight trail means business. It starts in the city of Greenville and ends in Travelers Rest. On the way, a biker/walker/creeper/runner/transcendentalist will pass Falls Park, and the greatest place on Earth- Furman University.
Some interesting stats about the SR brought to you straight from Wikipedia:
A scholarly study in 2012 estimated that more than 350,000 people annually used the trail and that area businesses increased their sales from 30 to 85%. In 2013, the mayor of Travelers Rest said that the trail had "been phenomenal for the whole county, but more so for us in Travelers Rest. I can’t begin to tell you how much of an economic boost it’s been to this town." A 2012 Greenville News editorial described the Swamp Rabbit Trail as "one of the most popular assets in Greenville County...proving that when it comes to such trails, if you build them they will come."   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Rabbit_Trail



The old Swamp Rabbit himself asking all passersby humans to "Please do not litter my trail"
The ride to Travelers Rest was not too bad. I was already really tired, and the way there is a slight uphill. However, it was just a few miles down the path, and I saw some neat stuff:
This is called the Ghost Bike. It is dedicated to all bikers killed while riding in Greenville. It is somewhat eerie, but then again a very kind gesture. The sign in the picture is simply asking for one to please put their trash in the bins, instead of throwing it into the woods. 

Random lots like these were great because they really quickened my pace with that added adrenaline rush. Always go on the Swamp Rabbit with a buddy and be aware. Since I had my magical bike, I was ok by myself.
Despite the odds, I finally made it to Travelers Rest! There were signs everywhere telling me that I was still on the path, and to come relax and spend money. I would have, but the Furman campus was calling me home. Don't worry, I stayed long enough to get some selfies-
Me, battle worn in front of a super cute hotdog place




The signs I was telling you about!!!

The ride back to the promise land was easy. Going to Travelers Rest was a slight uphill, so coming back to Furman was just a breeze....


Lastly, I will leave you with this picture of a baby swamp rabbit. I will be spending more time outside as I will find this animal, and I will keep it in my dorm

<3 <3 <3 






No comments:

Post a Comment